There are six steps I follow for every creative project. Sometimes, formally. Other times, I run through them in my mind or create quick sketches. Either way, if I try to cut corners, I always regret it later.
I liken the process to building a house.
- Imagine. Setting, location, architectural style, ambiance, inspiration.
- Specify. Rooms, bathrooms, storage, garage, etc.
- Plan. Blueprint! How it all fits together.
- Concept. Interior/exterior finishing options.
- Design. Lock in finishes. Finalize specs.
It's not too different from building a website.
- Imagine. Experience, ambiance, inspiration.
- Specify. Number of pages, features, content types.
- Plan. Wireframes! How it all fits together.
- Concept. Look and feel options.
- Design. Lock in look and feel. Finalize specs.
Whether it's houses, websites, or something else, once you master the steps, even the most complicated projects can feel within reach.